How to change your Philippine Passport to your Married Name

How to change your Philippine Passport to your Married Name

I’m back! I just want to share my experience on how to renew a Philippine passport from your maiden name to married name. My husband and I just got married in March 2019 (Newly Wed).  And I am struggling thinking on what I need to do since my husband and I got married abroad (Hong Kong) and we want to be together again soon, so I need to renew my passport as soon as possible.

 If you’re planning to change your passport from your maiden name to your married name, here’s a simple step for you.


You need to set an online appointment through the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) website except if you qualify for the Courtesy Lane. Click here for a complete list of applicants with Emergency or Courtesy Cases which are accommodated on a walk-in basis (no appointment required).

STEP 2: Over-the-Counter Payments.

After completing the application form online, you’ll receive an email with a reference number. You need to pay the passport fee P950 Regular processing (15 business days) | P1,200 Express processing (7 working days).

Note: A PHP 50.00 Convenience Fee will be added. Please settle over-the-counter payments within 24 hours. Your bank may not be available on weekends and holidays.

Authorized Partner:

Bayad Center, ECPay, Perahub, Robinsons Business Center, Robinsons Department Store, Waltermart Dept. Store, 7- Eleven, USSC (Western Union), Villarica

Payment General Guidelines

  • Pay in CASH only.
  • Appointments are confirmed once paid.
  • A confirmation email will be sent to you once payment is processed.
  • Pay the exact amount. Any excess payment will be forfeited. Payments less than the total amount indicated will not be processed.
  • Total amount due is inclusive of convenience fee. If you are paying for multiple reference numbers, pay separately for each reference number. One transaction per reference number
  • A reference number can only be used once. If you made a short payment by mistake, do not try to correct it by making another bills payment with the same reference number. Please contact our helpdesk immediately at (02) 234 3488


After a successful payment checkout, a new email message with the confirmation of your appointment, the appointment form, the e-receipt, and a checklist will be sent to you by the appointment system.

Depending on actual server load and network traffic, the server may take some time before it can send a confirmation email for the selected booking

For any concerns regarding your application and payment, you may contact the appointment hotline (02) 234 3488. For any questions regarding requirements, you may refer to

STEP 3: Prepare your requirements

  1. Confirmed Online Appointment
  2. Accomplished Application Form
  3. Personal appearance
  4. Current passport with a photocopy of the data page
  5. Original PSA authenticated documents that will support the change of name

  • Marriage Contract
  • Annotated Birth Certificate
  • Annotated Marriage Contract to show annulment/divorce/court ordered instruction
  • Death Certificate of Spouse
  • If married abroad, Report of marriage dully authenticated by PSA.
  • Original and photocopy of the commission of Filipino Overseas (CFO) Guidance and Counselling Certificate of Attendance (If married only in the Philippines).

NOTE: If a woman opts to retain the maiden name, a Marriage Contract is not required.

Additional supporting documents may be further required in certain cases, check them out here.

My Experience:

I submitted a copy of Report of Marriage and it was not authenticated by PSA, I thought it will cause me a problem since the staff told me that they were not sure if DFA will renew my passport because I only submitted a copy of Report of Marriage and it was not authenticated.

I was advised to pick up my passport on the scheduled date and not to avail delivery service to get advice from them if my passport will not be renewed.

After providing the required documents, I was told to stay in the waiting area until my turn. I was called to have my picture taken. They then asked me to double check my information encoded in the system (they asked me if I’m happy with my picture. I said “Yes” Good job to that staff)

It was pretty easy to renew a passport now a day, no long queue and I did not wait for a long time. That was it! My passport application process at DFA Malolos was very pleasant. I was in and out in under an hour – Isn’t amazing?

Hurray!!! I got my passport on the scheduled date without any problem – Have fun, MRS.


Here are a few questions I had for myself, which I clarified with the DFA Officers:

1. Am I required to bring a passport photo?

No. They will take your picture at the DFA Consular office.

2. Is there a dress code?

Any decent clothes of any color will do.  However, plunging necklines, sleeveless clothing, spaghetti strapped tops, see-through tops, sando, tube tops, halters and the like are prohibited. You may use earring, hair clips, colored contact lenses, and eyeglasses but they will require you to take them off when it’s time to take your picture.

3. With my previous passport, I looked like I was ready to tackle someone. Can I smile for my picture?

Yes. Just the no-teeth kind of smile. Lol!

4. My passport’s validity is less than 6 months; can I still use it to travel outside the country?

No. Your passport must be at least six-months valid for you to be able to travel abroad.

5. Do I need to bring a pen?

Yes. Black pen, please.

6. Can I change my passport to my married name even if my passport is not yet expiring?

Yes, of course, you can.

This Post Has 8 Comments

  1. Hello Ms. Michelle!

    Does this mean that they don’t require PSA authenticated ROM when they renew your passport? Kasi I’m also planning to get married in HK like you did and change directly my passport after it.

    1. Hi! Yes po, as per my experience last April 2019, they don’t require PSA authenticated ROM.

  2. Thank you po for this helpful information Ms. Michelle! Question lang po, did you registered with CFO muna before making an appointment for your Passport renewal?


    1. Hello! We got married outside PH so I don’t need to get CFO. As far as I know, if you got married in PH you need to get CFO pero if outside PH, hindi po sya kailangan.

  3. Hi Ms. Michelle, I’m confused. I have to fill out and submit the Report of Marriage form pa rin ba even though I have my marriage cert on hand?

    1. Hello! PSA Marriage Cert would be fine po.

  4. Hello po, alam nyo po ba kung saan pwedi makakuha ng CFO ?
    Ibig sabihin po ba kukuha muna ng CFO bago magpa appointment for Passport ?

    1. If you got married outside the Philippines, you don’t need to get CFO. But, if you got married inside PH you need to get CFO po.

      Please check the link.

Leave a Reply

Close Menu